Uninsured or Under Insured Motorist,When buying car insurance, it is important to remember that your car insurance policy doesn’t just cover you for claims made against you.  It also covers you and anyone riding in your car if you are injured by someone else.   In order to adequately protect you and your family, you need to have the proper amount of coverage on your own car.
More and more, car insurance companies are advertising “cheap” insurance that you can buy on line in a matter of minutes.   Certainly no one wants to pay more than they have to for insurance, but in Illinois, car insurance policies also provide uninsured and under insured coverage.   This way, if an uninsured driver hits you and causes an injury, you will be covered by your own policy.
Unfortunately, we have handled many cases over the years where the at fault driver does not have enough coverage to pay for the damages, and has little or no assets to pursue.   If a lawsuit is brought against someone with little coverage and no assets, they can seek protection under bankruptcy laws and effectively avoid paying any amount beyond their liability coverage.
Uninsured and under insured motorist coverage is included in your policy in the same amount as your liability coverage, unless you specifically waive it.   So the more coverage you have, the more protected you are against uninsured or under insured drivers.   If you are severely injured by someone with little coverage, your own uninsured or under insured coverage will cover you to the extent your policy is larger.
Your liability and uninsured/under insured limits are expressed in two numbers, for instance 20/40 or 100/300.   The first number is the amount of coverage you have to compensate any one injured person, and the second the amount of coverage you have per incident, regardless of how many people are injured.  So 20/40 would mean you have $20,000 of coverage for any one injured person and $40,000 in coverage per incident (the numbers for coverage are expressed in thousands).
The state minimum coverage that drivers must have to operate a car legally in Illinois is 20/40.   Since medical bills can be so high in a serious injury case, we recommend that you purchase as much coverage as you can afford.  You might be surprised to find how little it costs to go from 100/300 coverage to 250/500 coverage.  In certain instances, depending on your lifestyle, you may want even more coverage.  It is best to talk to a knowledgeable agent when buying your insurance to make sure you are adequately covered.  So when it comes to car insurance protection, you really do get what you pay for.
If you have been the victim of an uninsured or under insured motorist, it is important to obtain legal representation right away.  There are procedures that must be followed to protect such a claim, including the manner in which you must deal with the at fault driver’s insurance company.  If those procedures are not followed you may lose any coverage that might otherwise be provided by your own policy.  There are also time limits that apply.
MacCloskeyKesler and Associates has successfully handled hundreds of uninsured and under insured motorist cases.  Our office will ensure that the appropriate procedures are followed to protect you and your claim and see to it that you obtain the full amount of compensation to which you are entitled.   If you or a loved one has been injured by an uninsured or under insured driver, call us now for a free consultation at 815-965-2000.