watching-chicago-cubs-gameOn Friday, May 19, 2017, we closed the office to play hooky and go to a Chicago Cubs baseball game at Wrigley Field. They were playing Division Rivals the Milwaukee Brewers.  The weather the week running up to that Friday was beautiful; temperatures were in the 70’s with no rain in sight.
Naturally, the forecast for the 19th was for temperatures in the 50’s with a 70% chance of rain.  Luckily for us, we had tickets at one of the rooftop clubs, so even if it was cold we’d still be warm and dry, with plenty of food and beverages.
We boarded a bus in downtown Rockford at 10am to make the trip in for the 1:20 start time. Everyone from the office went, and most brought along their spouses or significant others.  We had a whole tour bus to ourselves.
We got into Chicago about 12:30, and because of the traffic around Wrigley, the bus had to park a few blocks away.   By this time it was starting to spit a little rain, but we decided to lean into the wind and rain and make the trek.  Once we got to the building, we ascended several flights of stairs to the enclosed rooftop restaurant/lounge area.
If you’ve never experienced seeing a game on one of the rooftops around Wrigley, I highly recommend it. There’s comfortable seating, open bar and all the dogs and burgers you want.  If you climb up one more flight of stairs you’re on the actual rooftop, and you can see the field spread out in front of you.  We were behind right/center field.  It was just beautiful.  By climbing up the last flight you can sit on bleachers and have an unobstructed view of the field.  As cold and nasty as it was, most of us chose to stay inside and watch the game on the many big screen TV’s in the restaurant/lounge area.
The game started badly for the Cubs. The starting pitcher walked the first three batters in both the first and second innings, and had about 70 pitches thrown through the first three.  They quickly got into a hole.  They clawed their way back and went up by one in the top of the fifth, but by then it was raining pretty hard.  In the bottom of the fifth pitching failed the Cubs again and there were a couple more walks and a couple singles, and it was all but over.  At the end of the fifth they brought out the tarp for the infield, and we knew it was going to be, at a minimum, a long rain delay.  All things considered, we decided to call it a day.  Listening to the game on the way home, after a couple hour delay, we found out Milwaukee held on for the victory.
It wasn’t a good day for the Cubs, but it sure was nice to take the whole MacCloskey Kesler office out to the ball game for an extra day off. It’s nice to be able to do stuff like that from time to time to reward our wonderful staff for all their hard work and to just blow off some steam.  I’m hoping we make it a yearly outing, but next year we’ll probably go in June!